Michele has spoken widely about the project and is available for future speaking engagements. Based on her Headhunt Revisited project work, she was invited to be a founding member of the exclusive International League of Conservation Photographers, which provides a platform for raising awareness of worldwide conservation issues through photography.
It was the first time a full lecture and event was held in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. The entire program was well received by the audience including many business people, U.S. Ambassador, Walter North and his wife, Judy. Public Affairs Officer, Ed Soltow was also present to help with some of the coordination and is providing some wonderful suggestions for grant applications. To make the event even more exciting, a reconnection with Siaka Heni, Leontine Taita Veata and Catherine Idau Taravatu was clearly emotional. For a grand finale, Jeffry Feeger produced a painting “live” for the audience. Rae Smart, Co-Producer, Australia, was instrumental in making this event a success.
Feature Story in PNG Air Magazine
Mother Nature Network
Sandi Klein Show announced Michele’s receipt of iLCP Award
Sandi Klein Show announced National Endowment for the Arts Award
Conversations With Creative Women, Sandi Klein Show interview.
Origin Magazine – June/July, 2015
Washington Filmmaker Discovers Past Treasures – Media Inc., 29th April, 2014
Headhunt Revisited, Art That Spans Oceans and Decades – Huffington Post, 23rd April, 2014
“Headhunt Revisited” retraces the Melanesian journey of a 1920’s portrait painter – Radio Australia, 17th April, 2014
Headhunt Revisited: Expressions of an Explorer – Bare Essentials, 15th April, 2014
Headhunt Revisited – National Geographic Newswatch, 6th April, 2014
Art connects cultures across oceans and decades in Michele Westmorland’s Kickstarter campaign – Lowepro, 8th April, 2014
Intrepid Voyages: Retracing a pioneering journey from the 1920s into the heart of Melanesia – Asian Geographic, April 2007
Reconnecting With the Past – PhotoMedia Magazine, Spring 2007
Headhunt Revisited, The Living Faces of Melanesia, The Explorers Journal, Fall 2006
A Gibson Girl in New Guinea – Smithsonian Magazine, April 2006 Story by Tessa deCarlo
Stories about the project have appeared on various occasions in the Seattle Times; Monterey County Weekly and Papua New Guinea Post Courier
PAST SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS:
Over the past few years, Michele has had the pleasure of speaking about the adventures of Caroline and Margaret at many prestigious events and locations.
- Guest lecturer on board the Silversea Discoverer for Silversea Cruises
- Port Moresby presentation hosted by the U.S. Embassy
- Museum of Fine Arts in St. Petersburg, Florida as part of BLUE Ocean Film Festival
- Private lecture hosted by Gloria Snead
- Texas Chapter of the Explorers Club, San Diego Chapter of the Explorers Club, Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Explorers Club
- Aspen Disruption Summit, Aspen, Colorado
- Pingyao International Photography Festival, China
- Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. Opening reception of Jeffry Feeger art in collaboration with the project.
- Presentation to the Society of Woman Geographers, Berkley, CA. Hosted by Anita Pearson and Carla Dole.
- The Explorers Club, New York. Sea Stories event. Michele gave a presentation on titled “Melanesia – Islands of Diversity”. This lecture was to enlighten the audience on the connection between the natural environment and the culture of Melanesia.
- The Bowers Museum. An event celebrating the vibrant culture of Papua New Guinea. Michele utilized her imagery and knowledge of the culture in a visually vibrant presentation.
- The BLUE Ocean Film Festival. Michele gave a presentation on the connection of the marine environment to the people of Melanesia.
- Keynote Speakers at North American Nature Photographery Association Annual Summit in McAllen, Texas
- “BLUE On Tour” at Auburn University
- Adventurer’s Club in Los Angeles
- Zegrahm Expeditions, Faces of Melanesia, The Clipper Odyssey
- National Arts Club, New York, NY
- The Explorers Club Headquarters, NY
- Photography Mentors series, Mountaineers Club, Seattle, WA
- Society of Woman Geographers, Washington, D.C.
- 8th World Wilderness Congress, Anchorage, Alaska. “Images with Passion and Purpose.”